Thursday, December 27, 2007

Kids love challenges - get them involved and see the results

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

We have just returned from the impressive movie 'Taare Zameen Par'. It being such a thought provoking movie, that it not just inspired my children to do their best in their field on interest but also gave me a better understanding of how to inspire my children.
We parents generally tend to favor the academically better performing kids and neglect their other sibling. Personally we too had this experience, with my daughter usually getting all the accolades for doing well in her studies. However I should say my 10 year old son is a very creative person and it was only now that we came to know that he also enjoyed challenges. If you tell a kid that he would get an XBOX 360 if he scored above 85% you can be rest assured that he would do whatever it takes to get it. Not just that, he would also ask you for his next possible prize. :))
Recently I learned from his school about a new competition organized by www.24x7guru.com, that sends 10 deserving students to NASA along with a parent and teacher after a testing them on their subjects. This seems to be a very transparent tests, primarily based on 3-10 class syllabus and based entirely on merit. Now not just my son but even I am spending as much time to help him reach the goal of being a part of the team that visited NASA. It seems to be the talking point in his schools and our neighborhood as well.
An added bonus here is that if he was successful in the competition, he's also sure to fare well in his Maths and Science exams. Kudos to such challenges, hope this is just the beginning of kids of perform at their peak.

No comments: